Forget the bench press – this pull-up bar workout is perfect for crafting that coveted V-shaped torso…
Want to look good in a shirt? Forget the bench press – for all-round strength and muscle, the humble pull-up should be your exercise of choice.
Not only will it build your shoulders and back, but it will also aid your posture and fire up your forearms.
This workout combines this straightforward yet ultra-effective move with its cousin, the chin-up – one of the best biceps builders you can do – and the dip, which will make sure your triceps are doing their bit.
How to do the pull-up bar workout:
- Do 6-8 reps of each exercise.
- Take minimal rest between exercises.
- Rest 90 secs at the end of the circuit.
- Do 3-4 rounds in total.
1a. Wide-Grip Pull-Up
- Grip the pull-up bar with your hands more than shoulder-width apart. Brace your abs and pull yourself up until your whole head is above the bar.
- Lower your body under control until your arms are straight. Keep your shoulders engaged and don’t sag at the bottom.
1b. Hanging Knee Raise
- Hang from the bar.
- Use your lower abs to raise your legs until your thighs are at least parallel to the floor.
- Keep straight legs to make the move harder.
- Grasp the bar with your hands shoulder-width apart, using an underhand grip.
- Start from a dead hang with your arms fully extended.
- Pull yourself up by squeezing your lats together. Once your chin is above the bar, lower yourself back to the start.
- Attach the dip bars to the pull-up rig. Grip the bars with your arms straight.
- Lower your body as far as you can go without stressing your shoulders. To work your triceps, stay upright; to work your pecs, lean forwards.
- Press up powerfully but don’t lock out your elbows at the top.
1e. Hanging Twisting Knee Raise
- Hang from the bar with your knees bent.
- Keeping them bent, use your lower abs to raise your thighs until they’re parallel to the floor, then twist them to one side.
- Return to the start then bring your knees back up and twist to the other side.
- Return to the start to complete 1 rep.