This full-body circuit workout from Circuit Society combines high-intensity cardio with resistance exercises to torch calories and build lean muscle…
Circuit Society is a new circuit-based micro fitness studio in Camden, north London. Circuit Society classes are always based around six stations (exercises), and this one – created by trainer Antoine Dunn – is no different. Here’s a quick summary of what’s to come.
Full-body circuit workout:
- SkiErg x 3 mins
- AirBike x 3 mins
- AirRunner x 3 mins
- Battle Ropes (30 secs on / 30 secs off x 3 mins)
- Kettlebell Swing (30 secs on / 30 secs off x 3 mins)
- Dumbbell Thruster (40 secs on / 20 secs off x 3 mins)
The workout is split into two blocks: cardio, and strength and conditioning. That means the first three exercises are designed to test your aerobic endurance and lung capacity, revving up your metabolism and burning a ton of calories in the process.
The second block brings some resistance training into play, but don’t think that means your lungs are going to get much of a breather… Battle ropes, kettlebell swings and dumbbell thrusters will test both your aerobic and anaerobic systems, challenging your muscles while keeping that heart rate high.
Make it to the end in one piece and you’ll know you’re in pretty good nick!
Full-body circuit workout: cardio block
SkiErg x 3 mins
EMOM: Cover 150-200m every minute on the minute. When achieved, rest for the remainder of minute.
How to use the SkiErg:
- First, place feet shoulder-width apart, with a slight bend in your knees.
- Reach up and grab the two handles, with a slight bend in your elbows.
- Drive the handles downward, engage your core, maintaining bend in elbows and keeping handles close to the sides of your body.
- Then, finish the drive with knees bent, arms extended down past your thighs.
AirBike x 3 mins
1st minute: Consistently achieve cadence of 40
2nd minute: Consistently achieve cadence of 50
3rd minute: Consistently achieve cadence of 60
How to use an AirBike:
- Set seat to hip height.
- Sit down, engage core and pull one handle back, pushing the other forward.
- Simultaneously, push down with feet to create cycling motion.
- Pull and push with upper body with same intensity as your peddling.
AirRunner x 3 mins
1st minute: Consistently achieve cadence of 5
2nd minute: Consistently achieve cadence of 6
3rd minute: Consistently achieve cadence of 7
How to use an AirRunner:
- First, begin at walking pace to find your feet on the runner.
- Ensure your feet are positioned as the treadmill starts curve up.
- Then, lean forward slightly and begin to push through with your feet as you speed up.
- Drive with your arms, keep your chest up, maintaining a constant speed.
Full-body circuit workout: strength & conditioning block
Battle Ropes (30 secs on / 30 secs off x 3 mins)
How to use battle ropes:
- Lower into a shallow squat position, feet shoulder-width apart.
- Hold the end of the battle ropes in each hand, slightly over your knees.
- Chest up, engage core, and begin alternately raising and lowering each arm.
Kettlebell Swing (30 secs on / 30 secs off x 3 mins)
How to do kettlebell swings:
- Hinge at the hips by pushing your glutes back.
- Drive your hips forward, swinging the kettlebell up.
- Don’t worry too much about how high the kettlebell gets – the snap at the hips and drive through the glutes is more important than air time.
The kettlebell swing features in our roundup of the 23 best kettlebell exercises
Dumbbell Thruster (40 secs on / 20 secs off x 3 mins)
How to do a dumbbell thruster:
- Feet shoulder-width apart, hold two middle-weight dumbbells slightly above shoulder height.
- Next, squat down, chest up, leading into the squat with your backside.
- Once in the squat position, explode up with your legs to a standing position.
- In one motion, as you stand, press the two dumbbells up above your head into a shoulder press.
- Use the momentum of the squat to press the dumbbells into the air.
- Then, slowly lower the dumbbells back to your shoulders, and lower down into a squat position
Follow @circuitsociety on Instagram